Total knee replacement, or arthroplasty, is the relining of the joint (bone end surfaces) with artificial parts called prostheses. There are three components used in the artificial knee. This is the right place for total knee replacement surgery in Pune.
- The femoral (thigh) component is made of metal and covers the end of the thigh bone
- The tibial (shin bone) component, made of metal and polyethylene (medical-grade plastic), covers the top end of the tibia. The metal forms the base of this component, while the polyethylene is attached to the top of the metal to serve as a cushion and smooth gliding surface.
- The third component, the patella (kneecap) may be all polyethylene or a combination of metal and polyethylene.
- The new components are stabilized by your ligaments and muscles, just as your natural knee.
In some cases, total knee replacement can be done through a smaller incision. This is called minimally invasive total knee replacement.ADVANTAGES of Knee Replacement Surgery:
RECOVERY After Knee Replacement Surgery
- High success rate
- Earlier recovery of function
- Earlier discharge from hospital and return to work
- Less pain and less blood loss
- Preservation of bone stock
- Easier revision to total knee arthroplasty at a later date
- The patient is able to walk on the next day of surgery
- Within 24 to 48 hours the patient can raise his/her leg and bend the knee beyond 70 0.
- The patient is able to climb stairs within 4 days of surgery